Monday 18 April 2016

Falkirk and District Association for Mental Health



On Thursday 7th April, I had the honour of spending the day with the staff and services users at the Falkirk and District Association for Mental Health centre in Falkirk, to gain some insight into the services and support they offer and just how important their work is.


My day started off with a cup of tea and a chat about my petition with Angela, the centre manager. Angela contacted me via the blog asking would I like to come along and of course I couldn't say no, after all it is an area I am very passionate about.  

After our chat it was time to meet the women's group and take part in some arm knitting, yes you read that correctly arm knitting.  It was such a giggle and funnily enough ended in me being rather tangled with someone having to rescue me! I spoke to the ladies who attended the group and they were all so lovely and welcoming. I felt at home and as if I had known them for ages!

Over the course of the day I met the people who work with everything they have to provide the help and support that those in attendance need.  Hearing about the different services on offer it made me rethink my original petition and I am now looking to ask the government to fund and create services like FDAMH. At the moment I am currently trying to familiarise myself with existing organisations and what they offer.

FDAMH offer the following (please forgive me if I miss any out!)

  • Befriending
  • Third age befriending
  • Social prescribing
  • Drop in service
  • Counselling
  • Family and carer support
  • user involvement
  • support groups


The biggest one for me and this really opened my eyes, the immediate help service.  You can just walk in off the street and can be seen within minutes of arriving.  You do not need an appointment. This to me is such a crucial element and I firmly believe that this service should be made compulsory in all  health board areas. Surely the government can see how much this will not only help so many people but it takes away from the long waiting times which usually mean the person is left in limbo until they can be seen!

I plan on raising funds for the centre later this year and I am currently in the planning stages.  Once I have something organised I will let you all know!

Head over to their website to find out more about this incredible organisation.


18 comments:

  1. How nice that you took the time to learn about what they can offer and are highlighting that people could just walk in off the street for help. Good luck with your fundraising efforts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It was an eye opener in a good way. The immediate help service is incredible.

      Delete
  2. I love the idea of the instant support help I think sometimes it takes a lot to ask for help and to be able to receive this immediately must be key

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely think it is key and the government need to take note of that and quickly

      Delete
  3. I immediate help service sounds fab, I know people that have waited month for help

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The waiting times are a disgrace, centres such as this can offer so much whilst waiting even if it is just somewhere to go for a cuppa and a natter with others where they wont feel judged x

      Delete
  4. It's a great initiative and so refreshing to hear that users can access the service when they need it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a wonderful place with so many different services, the also have art groups, a choir and loads more x

      Delete
  5. That's amazing the support they offer and like you say, being able to walk off the street without an appointment I would think is crucial.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Knowing that people can get that help is amazing. Gp's from the area refer some of their patients to the centre too

      Delete
  6. Instant support is so wonderful. It is key that people get the help and support they need as soon as they can. Well done for getting involved

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so so important. They have made and continue to make such a massive difference in people lives. x

      Delete
  7. What a wonderful organisation, how lovely to be able to spend the day there x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was delighted that they invited me along. They are fantastic x

      Delete
  8. More areas need organisations like this - it sounds like it could be a lifeline for some x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree and I plan on putting that to the government. Such an important service x

      Delete
  9. What a great support group, I love the idea of the instant help, this is very beneficial as often than not when people have to go on a waiting list for help their symptoms can get worse.Well done for getting involved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate knowing people are just put on a list and left to get on with it until their name is at the top, it's not right. Having a place like FDAMH to go to would make such a difference to many x

      Delete