Wednesday 9 September 2015

The Personal Barber


I have noticed there are quite a few subscription boxes for women but not many that are for the male market.  I recently came across The Personal Barber which is a great monthly box for men and they sent me one of their boxes for my husband to use.



James usually shaves using his electric razor but started to notice it wasn't really removing all the little hairs which can be hard to reach.  He used a disposable but again this never really made a difference and he ended up with small cuts on his face.  So when I told him that he was getting this box he was excited to try a proper razor, one like his Granda used.

Here is what he received in his awesome little box of goodies.

In your first box you will receive this classic safety razor.  The head moves easily meaning you won't be adding to much pressure to your skin or the blade. This will help to get those pesky little hairs. It is simple to take apart and to replace the blade.  James said he liked this razor as it was light and he felt it gave a better, closer shave.






This synthetic hair shaving brush also comes with your first box.  It is easy to use and easy to maintain. James liked the feel of the brush and it also helped to get the shaving soap into a decent lather and spread evenly over the face.








I will admit, I love this Muhle Pure Cotton Waffle Pique Shaving Towel. It is very soft which is great as it means it is also gentle on the skin.  James used this as a hot towel in order to soften the hairs and skin before shaving.  Simply soak in very hot water (as hot as you can take) wring out then apply to the skin for 3 minutes (minimum) it does depend on how thick the beard is how long you apply the towel for.  James said it felt relaxing and made a difference.


Muhle Sea Buckthorn Shaving Soap.  This is a brilliant little shaving soap as you really do get a decent lather from it and you do not need too much either.  It was gentle on the skin and James said it really helped make the shave easier. It is not a flowery smell, which he was pleased about.  According to him it was a manly smell!!







Simpsons Naturally Vitalising Pre-Shave Oil.  James used this before applying the shaving soap.  The pre-shave oil protects the skin, meaning there is less chance of irritation or razor burn.  It also means there is less chance of little cuts too.  James admitted he had never used a product like this before but was glad he did as it prepared and protected his skin.







We received two different branded replacement blades.  Gillette 7 O'clock and Bic Astor blades.  James was delighted to see two well known brands in the box.  Both offer an excellent, gentle, shave.  They last between 3 and 7 shaves depending on the thickness of the hair. Please do not use blunt blades as you are more likely to get razor burn and irritation.







Each box also comes with a how to shave guide for those who have never used a safety razor before but it is good for those who want to get the most from their shave too.  

James' Verdict

Overall I am very pleased with the products and it was the best shave I have had.  I will use this every couple of shaves, just as a treat and as my beard grows at some rate I might not always have time for the full on shave.

If you want to sign up to receive your very own Personal Barber box you have the following options

  • Month to Month at £24.95 per box
  • 3 months at £20.95 per month
  • 6 months at £19.95 per month
  • 12 months at £17.95 per month
Please note you must be 18 and over to subscribe.

To sign up head over to the website which can be found here

28 comments:

  1. Ohhhh this is fab! And would make a great gift - a subscription box for a man! :D Love it. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a great little box. Nice to see a subscription box for a man. x

      Delete
  2. It sounds great and I reckon my husband would be pleased to get this as a gift :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A nice treat for the man in your life. Could see this making a nice gift,

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know much about men's shaving but I feel like traditional shaving may be a dying art? These boxes would fit a nice niche for men who like the 'old style' shave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, you don't see traditional shaving kits in the shops, even at Christmas. They have a gift option on the website so this box could be sent as a present x

      Delete
  5. My husband would love this - men like a bit of pampering too after all

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah they do. James loves this box and I am thinking of getting a box as a gift for my dad's Christmas x

      Delete
  6. oooh what a great idea love this my husband would to

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it is a brilliant idea and I imagine it will do well as I have not seen anything else like it for men x

      Delete
  7. My husband has always wanted a proper cut throat shave. This looks like a brilliant alternative :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's nice to see this for men as there are so many do women around.
    My husband would approve

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is nice to see as there is hardly anything out there subscription wise for men x

      Delete
  9. Great idea for men, there are so many womens ones out there

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it and the best thing is its an old fashioned traditional shave, very rare these days too x

      Delete
  10. This is cool!
    www.blogsbyfa.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ah, this is great - shows the old fashioned methods are the best! I bet this would make a great Christmas present for D.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved seeing the proper razor and the brush too, there is some very nostalgic about it all x

      Delete
  12. I have seen these before, I may treat hubby to one for Christmas, it does look the part, for sure!xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband loves it, even my dad is hinting at one for Christmas lol. It is nice to see a traditional shaving kit rather than disposable razors xx

      Delete
  13. This looks like a great box. I can imagine giving this to my Dad as a gift. I think the price is good too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great price for what you receive. I have memories of my dad having the proper shaving kit so its nice to see The Personal Barber has made this available again

      Delete
  14. That's a nice alternative box although I wonder how exciting all the other boxes will be and how much variety you get

    ReplyDelete