Wednesday 5 August 2015

Cabin Fever - Book Review




I used to work in the travel industry as a ticketing and reservation agent for an around the world tour operator.  My days were filled with system after system of flight, passenger and surface travel information. I could recite, and still can to this day, pretty much every major airport and airline code that existed. I often wondered what actually goes on behind the scenes at the airlines I printed tickets or booked seats for every day for two years.  Well yesterday I got some insight when I found the perfect book for me Cabin Fever: The Sizzling Secrets of a Virgin Air Hostess.




The cover was eye catching and if I am honest sexy too, it seems the whole Virgin brand oozes sex appeal, have you seen inside their aircraft wow, so the cover captured that too.

The book tells the story of Mandy Smith who worked for Virgin for 12 years.  After a personal incident, Mandy decided to apply for her dream job, Virgin Atlantic Cabin Crew.

She tells us of the interview process, the intense training course every aspiring flight attendant must pass to gain their wings, and of course her very first flight.  You don’t realise what they go through to “just serve tea and coffee” it is so much more than serving drinks!  There are also many stories of what they really get up to on a stopover and what travelling the world is really like.

You would be amazed, and shocked, at some of the in flight incidents the cabin crew have to deal with, put it this way most of us would be cowering in a corner crying, I mean would you be able to handle the captain collapsing with a heart attack in front of passengers and remain calm with a reassuring smile on your face? I know I couldn’t.

I honestly loved this book so much I read it in 2 hours! It was that good I didn’t want to put it down.

You can purchase a copy on Amazon here (paperback £9.99 or free on Kindle Unlimited)


34 comments:

  1. Ooh I really like the sound of this, I love to find out all the naughty secrets of the people lol x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would love this then, full of naughty secrets some might shock you hehe x

      Delete
  2. This book sounds very interesting. Keeping calm in a situation like that would be very difficult. What amazing people!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't be able to keep calm at all. I agree they are amazing! xx

      Delete
  3. I don't really read many books but you have made this sound SO interesting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It had me hooked from the first paragraph, amazing x

      Delete
  4. Ha ha sounds great I'm on a Virgin holiday in Washington as I type this x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha brilliant. you will probably look at the cabin crew differently now lol x

      Delete
  5. Perfect reading for a holiday it seems!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes it is, you will never look at cabin crew the same again if you read it lol x

      Delete
  6. I have friends that work as cabin crew and some of the stories they come out with are jaw dropping - may have to check this book out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can only imagine what they tell you. You will like this book then x

      Delete
  7. Free on Kindle Unlimited? Fab - I'm off to get it!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not one for me though I can see how much you enjoyed it x

    ReplyDelete
  9. ooh, I do like the sound of this one! I always wanted to be an airline stewardess when I was younger! x

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's the sort of thing that I would be fascinated by.

    ReplyDelete
  11. 2 hours, wow you are speedy and that sure says you enjoyed it. Mich x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was shocked myself when I realised I had read it in 2 hours. It was one of those books that had me really hooked x

      Delete
  12. Oh this sounds really interesting. I love when you get stuck in a good book

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was brilliant. I was gutted when I finished it lol. I felt a bit "now what do I do" lol x

      Delete
  13. i seem to have forgotton about the many books have left to read i should really add this to my list if ever i get through them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have loads to read too but I left them waiting so I could read this one! I finished it in 2 hours it was that gripping! I would love to know books you have in your pile? Always on the look out for a new read x

      Delete
  14. I've suddenly started reading a lot more of late - I'll have to read this to my TBR pile :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay let me know what you think of it if you get it. Reading is so relaxing x

      Delete
  15. Always so much to read and so little time!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have friends who are cabin-crew, so will be interesting to read this.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hmm, in some ways I think I'd prefer not to know what might happen during a flight! I bet it is an eye-opener.

    ReplyDelete