Wednesday 19 August 2015

Ways To Educate Others On Mental Health



Today my local newspaper shared a video made by a local girl who was talking about anxiety and depression and the impact it has had on her life.  When I saw the video I didn't feel sorry for her, I felt rather proud and grateful that she spoke out about her experience.  I have thought about making a video of my own but I have never been brave enough and my voice annoys me haha. So I have came up with a list of ways in which we can all help educate others about mental health.



Video

As mentioned above, a video is a quick and effective way of talking about mental health conditions.  You can write down what you say in advance or you can just hit record and say what you feel at that moment in time.  Videos can be shared on all social media sites and the biggest  video sharing site is YouTube and your video will be available to view by millions. It is a brilliant platform.

Blog

I took to blogging to get the message out there, to share my experiences and to have a place to vent when it all got too much.  The great thing about writing a blog is you can post as often as you want, use it as a journal or write about the different conditions and their symptoms etc.  Doesn't matter which way you write the blog you will still be helping to educate others.


Talk

Sounds obvious and that is because it is. I used to be scared to talk face to face about my problems. Now I will happily sit and explain about my symptoms and how they affect my day to day life. I had a coffee morning for SAMH last year and I had a poster that said "if you have any questions about anxiety just ask" it really is that simple. You have nothing to be ashamed of after all.

Volunteer

Why not volunteer for a mental health charity? Not only will you be helping people who have mental health conditions, you will be helping to educate their friends and loved ones as well as helping yourself.

Events

You could hold a coffee morning, as I mentioned above, in your home and invite you friends and family over. This gives them a chance to ask any questions they might have and it gives you the opportunity to talk about your condition which will make you feel so much better (trust me).


Talking about mental health conditions might seem like a scary thing to do, but, by speaking up and talking to others helps to educate them, gives them a better understanding and it goes towards ending the stigma attached to mental health.



37 comments:

  1. I completely agree with you about education and speaking about mental illness being the way forward. I suffered with PND after the birth of my first child, and the amount of so called friends and family that just didn't understand and thought I should "shake out of it"... :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That really angers me when people just assume we can snap out of it or say "it can't be that bad" arghhhhh. I lost "friends" too but we don't need that kind of negativity.

      Delete
  2. Being open is definitely the way to go and you've made some good suggestions here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I was trying to cover as many different ways as possible. I think it is important to get it out there x

      Delete
  3. I have to admit that I have learnt alot from reading blogs x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are amazing! I have tried so many new things after reading posts about them and I have also learnt a lot too x

      Delete
  4. Volunteering is a great suggestion. Helping others has a way of helping us too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I am looking into volunteering myself. I think it is a great thing to do xx

      Delete
  5. All excellent suggestions. I think it's vital the messages are out there - so many people don't mean to be rude etc, but just don't know what it's like to live someone else's life. Learning more can only help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I agree not all people realise they are coming across as rude they just don't fully understand. Hopefully more and more people will have the courage to speak about mental health meaning more people can learn xx

      Delete
  6. Volunteering can make such a different to both the volunteer and the organisation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, A great experience and wonderful thing to do x

      Delete
  7. I have learnt so much from people being open and honest about their illnesses, it really needs to be talked about more x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely. I have came across a few blogs with people openly talking about illnesses and it opens your eyes and makes you appreciate things more too as well as educating x

      Delete
  8. Great suggestions and volunteering is one of the most rewarding jobs ever xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I am looking into volunteering myself. I want to give back x

      Delete
  9. Well done on raising awareness

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great suggestions and being open is the best way x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Education is the way forward. I do not hide the fact I had mental health issues after the boys, however, I did at the time

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I admit I used to hide the fact I had anxiety but now I am proud as it has shaped me and made me stronger x

      Delete
  12. So many people have anxiety issues and it is important to help them talk about it. Great post, which will help many I'm sure x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I just hope it encourages more people to seek the help and support they need and to speak out and be proud. x

      Delete
  13. Excellent suggestions. Well done on raising awareness x

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have learned so much more since I started reading blogs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So have I. With blogs you know the person writing is being open and honest x

      Delete
  15. I am with you all the way x as I suffer with mental health issues my blog is my outlet and my saviour x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would be lost without having my blog. Makes such a difference to have an outlet x

      Delete
  16. I think education and talking about it is the key to moving forward. Its great that there are blogs like yous where people can come and read and learn. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, with so many outlets online we can reach so many people xx thank you xx

      Delete
  17. Good ideas and for me I think blogging is an amazing outlet to educate others. My little boy has complex issues and I would have been lost without blogs to help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a great way to connect and meet others who understand what you are going through x

      Delete
  18. I wish there was more awareness about mental health. So hard to get the message across even to your loved ones, sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can be very hard to get the message across but we need to keep trying and do our best x

      Delete
  19. Great post Angela. I think it's brilliant that people speak out about mental health as it's great to raise awareness. You've made some great points, it would be great to see people get more support x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I hope more people speak out. I understand it is not easy but it makes such a difference to everyone x

      Delete