Tuesday 18 August 2015

Distracted Driving Dilemmas



We see it almost daily. Next time you take a drive, take a look around you and see if you notice how many people are texting and driving. Last time I took a trip to my local supermarket across town, I counted a total of five instances where I caught a driver texting on their phones. Holding their phone over their steering wheels, or trying to hide it in their lap- like others don’t notice.

I think the biggest thing that I often notice is the random swerving in and out of lanes. That’s one of the first indications of a driver texting and driving. Another thing that bugs me- when someone sits at a green light when they are texting. It’s important to consider the busy schedules of the cars behind, and around you!

It’s a known fact that those who use devices or even hand-held devices while driving are much slower to react to other around them. In fact, it is known that reaction times are almost two times slower when one texts and drives, in comparison to a completely focused driver with no distractions. With the rise in teenagers using new technologies, and engagements in social media, emails, and internet browsing while driving- the rate of texting and driving instances has been on the rise in the past few years.

There are multiple resources and interactive tools that have been designed to help curb the destructive decisions made by some of our teens, as well as adults. Texting and driving is illegal, and should be considered extremely dangerous, considering the behaviour results in more serious injuries and casualties each year, than drunk driving alone.

An excellent resource to share with family members, friends, and our children is the “Stay Alive Game”. Upon visiting the game, participants enter their phone numbers, and click the start game. The user must operate a computer operated car, while a series of questions are prompted to the user’s cell phone. It quickly becomes difficult to operate the car, by swerving in and out of other moving cars, while texting your answers back to the questions being asked. It’s a safe, interactive way where we can see how dangerous it is to use cell phones while driving.


Take a look at the game today- and give it a shot! I was only able to text and drive for about 10 seconds, before I crashed. It’s fun, and a great tool for all to use. Let me know your thoughts on the game below, and be sure to share the game with your friends as well.


**this is a collaborative post

36 comments:

  1. That sounds like a great tool! It really annoys me when people use their phone when they're driving too x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried the game, not so easy! It bugs me so so much when people use their phone when driving it's as if they do not care about others xx

      Delete
  2. It is scary how many people seem to be doing something else while they are driving, off to give the game a try! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it is very scary. I have been in taxis when drivers are using their phones. makes me very nervous x

      Delete
  3. I will give the game a try, thanks. It annoys me seeing people careless at the wheel grr

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is no need for being careless behind the wheel it is total ignorance xx

      Delete
  4. It makes me furious seeing people using their phones whilst driving, anything that tries to make people realise how dangerous it is gets the thumbs up from me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Every campaign, game etc will help get the message across xx

      Delete
  5. It makes me so mad when drivers try to text and drive. I mean - pull over for God's sake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, it only take a minute to find a safe spot to stop. Phone's should be off or on silent when driving I think

      Delete
  6. I'm actually shocked by the number of people I see using their phones when driving, it really angers me - I wish there was an easy way to report people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There should be a dedicated hotline for reporting people. Maybe then they would think twice

      Delete
  7. It winds me right up. I am one of those people who will shout at a driver for being on their phone x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quite right, I dont blame you for shouting at them x

      Delete
  8. See this all the time, car swaying around and it's then no surprise that they are tapping away. Silly people!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I get frustrated when I see people using phones while they are driving, I have a rule of putting my handbag in the boot with my phone it it. then there is no temptation to look at it if it goes off

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish more people done that, phone out the way so it isn't a distraction. It makes me angry when people think it is ok to use their phone when driving, even taking a call on hands free is a distraction

      Delete
  10. I hate it when we see someone wobble and swerve up front, they are almost always on their phone

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is scary, I saw a parent on their phone yesterday morning, one hand on the wheel. arrgghhhhh x

      Delete
  11. I have seen people texting whilst doing 70mph on the motorway! People using their phones when driving really does annoy me! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On the motorway? oh my word. why do they feel the need to be so stupid. x

      Delete
  12. Argh! Texting and driving makes me mad!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So annoying the airport transport guy in the USA used his mobile ~ I went up the wall

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh dear. I don;t blame you. I would have went mad too! x

      Delete
  14. People using their phone and driving is a real bugbear of mine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. same here. there really is no need for it at all x

      Delete
  15. I actually don't know how anyone can feel safe doing it. But then I can barely adjust the radio while driving!

    ReplyDelete
  16. So important, people really do need to be more careful

    ReplyDelete
  17. Bad driving, and people using their phones when driving are two of my top pet peeves. It's just so dangerous. This sounds like a great way to raise awareness xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It angers me too. I don't know what goes through their heads honestly xx

      Delete
  18. im the type of person who gets really aggravated with people who mess on phones while driving

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad I don't drive as people like that really put me off, I wouldn't feel safe. They really need to crack down on drivers who use their phone when driving in the same way they do with those who speed, drink and drive or use drugs and drive. Zero tolerance across the board I say x

      Delete