Wednesday 1 October 2014

Increase in patients being prescribed antidepressants.





I have just read an STV news report that there is an increase in patients being prescribed antidepressants.  To me this is concerning as I am not sure why there is such a rise.  Is this down to more people getting the help they need (which is a good thing) OR is it simply because GP's don't have the proper training regarding mental health conditions and are handing them out like sweets as this is seen as the easy way?

In Scotland, between 2013 & 2014 more than 778,000 patients were prescribed at least one antidepressant.  This is a 4% increase from between 2012/2013 and a 22.8% increase on 2009/2010. This is quite a significant rise.

Most people will know I am not a fan of SSRI's (Selective Serotonin reuptake inhibitors) such as Citalopram, which is widely used for mild depression and even anxiety.

Recently I had been prescribed Citaolpram.  I had initially been offered it in 2006 when I was diagnosed with anxiety and I refused to take it.  This time I decided to give it a try.  I really wish I hadn't

A few days into taking the tablets, at 1am, I came into my living room sat down and told my husband that I wanted to kill myself.  He couldn't believe what I was telling him.  He looked so hurt yet I had no real control over what I was thinking and I broke down.  Deep down I knew I did not want to kill myself but I had this overwhelming urge to take my life and luckily I saw sense and told him rather than carrying the act out.

I stopped the tablets, the GP was not too impressed, but there was no way I could continue taking these horrible little pills.

Now I am not saying that this will happen to everyone, that is not the case, some people will be fine on them others not.  Like any other medication. There are side effects, again like every medication, but some are quite severe so ALWAYS ask your doctor to go over these with you.  Realistically they should go over these without you asking.

My point is are doctors handing them out too quickly? I think so.

Counselling helped me through my anxiety and I did not take medication so I don't think that every case of anxiety should be treated with medication straight away.

I also believe the GP's should be given more training in mental health conditions and better guidelines set for them to follow.

What are your views?


**Read the full STV report here http://news.stv.tv/scotland/294034-figures-show-number-of-scots-prescribed-antidepressants-on-the-rise/







No comments:

Post a Comment