Monday 8 December 2014

Counselling



A week ago today I had my first counselling session.  I have never been so relieved!!

I was nervous and excited about the appointment, a little anxious too.  As I approached the room I felt the usual symptoms start, thumping heart, sweating and feeling sick but I continued. My counsellor obviously noticed how I was feeling and asked me to sit down and take deep breaths as she told me about what would happen this session.

Right away I started to relax! It was an unusual feeling the anxiety disappearing that quick.  I think it was due to me knowing I would not be judged and that she totally understood how I was feeling.

I was told by a family member that I would feel drained after my appointment but I didn't really think I would be.  She was right but it was a nice feeling of tiredness as I had accomplished something just from telling the counsellor everything that was upsetting me.  Yes I did cry at one point but I think that was from the utter relief of getting it all out.



As I left I couldn't help but smile and the weight off my shoulders was incredible. For the first time in a long long time I actually felt properly relaxed!

I can't wait for my next appointment on Thursday.

No comments:

Post a Comment