Tuesday 31 March 2015

How To Live For Free




We all know that money doesn't got as far as it used too and the little treats you once enjoyed, going out for dinner, nights out and even buying that new wardrobe, don't happen as often if at all.  Recently we have started going back to our local butchers as it's much cheaper than the supermarkets and ordering our fruit and veg from a local company who deliver, but what if we could get other little luxuries for free?


The founder of latestfreestuff.co.uk, Deepak Tailor, has written a book on how to live for free.  Yes you read that correctly, free!!  When I received a copy I couldn't wait to read it to see what advice he had for us.




One of the first things discussed is the 5 principles of free living which are:

1. Free is better than nothing
2. Doing free things is easier than getting free things
3. If you can’t get the whole, find the parts
4. Work together and share your freebies
5. Don’t be a Freebie Junkie; hoarding thousands of Freebies just because you can

I must admit, for a while I was guilty of number 5! I am not as bad now though I promise.

There are some fantastic tips in this book.  Everything from how to get free food (tastings, foraging etc) to fitness (wild swimming, outdoor gyms and fitness apps) there really is tips and advice on pretty much everything you need and want.

Now, I don't want to give too much away as you really need to read it for yourself, you will love it, but my favourite tip has to be free days out for kids.  He suggests attending your local library's free events, we have bookbug sessions at ours to how to make the most of local parks and woodland, picking berries and climbing trees.  I really love all the little ideas as my childhood memories are of similar activities.

I really enjoyed this guide and there are so many handy tips and I will try quite a few of them.. I have 2 children and a tight budget so, for me, this guide will be my new best friend.

If you would like a copy of the guide it can be purchased here  (£2.99 for Kindle or free on Kindle unlimited). The paperback version is £8.99.

To read the sample chapter click here

 To sign up to receive freebies click here.

Background

Deepak founded the website LatestFreeStuff to gather all the freebies online together in one place. You can find everything from perfume to pet food there, and it's all free. He recently decided to write the book How to Live For Free to let people know about how he incorporates the concept of free in all other aspects of his life. He co-authored the book with Laura Foulger and it has so far had about 20,000 downloads so far and been listed as a bestseller in Amazon's finance section and other categories too.




32 comments:

  1. I, too, have been guilty of number five! I have never considered finding the parts instead of the whole, but that sounds like something that could work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been good recently regarding the hoarding! Hubby was fed up of seeing loads of unused freebies lol x

      Delete
  2. This book looks a really great read, I'm all for saving money when I can to spend it on luxuries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im with you! I look for ways to save money all the time. We all deserve treats x

      Delete
  3. This sounds really interesting I'm all for saving as many pennies as possible. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Saving pennies is important, especially when everything seems so expensive x

      Delete
  4. This sounds great! We already do quite a bit of foraging and my Other Half is a keen wild swimmer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am going to try foraging this year, I am new to it so willl be doing my research first! Sounds like you really enjoy it x

      Delete
  5. I was a hoarder but now regular donate unwanted/unused things to our local charity shop

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww fantastic, well done you! De-clutter and helps others x

      Delete
  6. i went hrough a stage of getting loads and anything for free , i really should do it again as ive another little legs on way and it comes in handy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love getting beauty product samples but always on the lookout for freebies for my kids xx

      Delete
  7. I have signed up for lots but never get anything just a lot of junk mail :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aww :( I have used Latest Free Stuff and got quite a few good freebies xx

      Delete
  8. What a great idea for a book - I bet it has some very interesting ideas in it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've definitely been guilty of number 5 in the past!

    ReplyDelete
  10. saving some pennies and getting free things or doing free things is a winner in my book too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Guilty of no.5 ! Interesting concept, one I would like to know more of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's worth getting the book, you will not be disappointed!x

      Delete
  12. Wow, living for free!! I am definitely guilty of number 5! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think its easy to become guilty of number 5 lol xx

      Delete
  13. I read this book and didn't think that much of it TBH!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I used to be a freebie junkie; I would order any freebie I've heard off but I no longer do it... my house was getting cluttered and I needed almost weekly trips to charity shops to drop stuff of

    ReplyDelete
  15. Guilty of number 5 too! There is a fine line between what we need and what we simply want but don't need :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh i totally agree! sometimes the temptation is too much lol x

      Delete
  16. I never seem to be able to find what I want on freecycle but have got rid of loads of stuff we didn't need

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Freecycle is great, especially for decluttering x

      Delete