Wednesday 4 March 2015

Life As A Chef




When it comes to cooking I have never been the most confident.  When I met James and he told me he was a chef I was a little intimidated.  Over the last six years he has taught me to cook meals from scratch, everything from Risotto to Steak.

James has worked for award winning chefs, Jeff Bland and Gordon Ramsay.  I thought it would be fun to interview James on life as a chef.



I started off as a kitchen porter in the Orchard Hotel in Falkirk.  Over the years I worked my up to junior chef de partie.  When I was a chef de partie I was working for Jeff Bland at the Balmoral Hotel in Edinburgh.  After taking a year out I then went to work in London at the Boxwood Cafe for Gordon Ramsay.

The Boxwood Cafe
What age were you when you first went into a professional kitchen?

I was 16 and working alongside my dad (he is head chef) in the Orchard hotel.  I started as a kitchen porter.


What was it like working in Michelin star restaurants?

It was hard work with very long hours but getting to work for amazing chefs and to use the finest ingredients, such as Foie Gras, truffles and lobster was a fantastic experience.  When I worked at the Balmoral, knowing I was working in the best hotel in Scotland was incredible, at the Boxwood it was quite surreal as everyone knows who Gordon Ramsay is.

The Balmoral



What was the best thing about working at such a high level?

Working for some of the best chefs in the world it was such an honour.  It is such a rewarding career. 

What would you say was the worst thing?

The long hours and the sacrifices I had to make.  Some days you didn't have time to stop for a proper break as it was so busy, this was the case at The Balmoral most days.  I sometimes worked from first thing in the morning until the kitchen closed at night.

You mentioned you got to work with some amazing ingredients, what was your favourite ingredient to cook with?

Seafood, especially shellfish simply because it is different.  Opening up oysters and scallops the correct way is a skill and I really like eating shellfish too.  Working with crab and lobster was amazing too as you can make some incredible dishes with them.

Our room service at The Balmoral

What was your least favourite dish to prepare?

I didn't like making well done steaks.  I think it runs the true flavour.  In saying that if the customer wanted well done they go it, after all they are paying a fortune.

What would you say was the hardest thing to make?
Cafe de Paris butter.  Trying to remember all 28 ingredients was a bit frustrating at times.
Who would you love to work with?

Michel Roux Jr.  The talent and knowledge he has is incredible.  Both his father and uncle are chefs.  He comes from an amazing culinary background.

What advice would you give to someone who wanted to become a chef?

Go to college, get a good grounding in a good place.  Write everything down and listen to everything that is being said.  Be prepared to work very long hours and very hard every shift.


To find out more about The Balmoral head to https://www.roccofortehotels.com/hotels-and-resorts/the-balmoral-hotel/

The Boxwood cafe closed a couple of years ago


31 comments:

  1. Great info, my friend's brother is a chef and says it is so full-on at times your head spins when you finish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I couldn't be a chef as I would not be able to handle the pressure of the job. It's not surprising his head spins after a shift x

      Delete
  2. I'm always in awe of people who become successful chefs. I think it's such a tiring, full on thing to do - you must have to really love doing it. Which it sounds like James does!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He has an amazing passion for cooking even though he is not working as a chef at the moment, he has taken time out to look after me and the kids and I feel guilty for that x

      Delete
  3. Wow, good way to lose weight then if you have to work so hard at this!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it would be a rather full on way to lose weight but it would work lol I think that is another reason James is so skinny! x

      Delete
  4. I have a friend that works in catering and it is sometimes a real thankless task and really hard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. James agrees that it can be thankless. I couldn't do it

      Delete
  5. I've been to the Balmoral hotel in Edinburgh, it is gorgeous! I stayed there for a couple of days for my honeymoon. Great advice and an interesting insight into how life as a chef is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Balmoral is amazing isn't it? We stayed there overnight on our wedding night it was just incredible. x

      Delete
  6. It sounds like he has a great career. My hubby was a chef when I first met him and he has taught me a bit but he never cooks now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great career but he sacrificed a lot, which the majority of chefs do. I take my hat off to them all x

      Delete
  7. Interesting post lovely, it sounds like he has a fantastic career! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aww thank you! He did but I think he is enjoying the break from it lol x

      Delete
  8. ive never had my husband in the kitchen bar when i was unable to make yorkshire puddings and pancakes, he does those well up untill last year , now im the champ lol, its a grat career to have

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooo pancakes yummy! I love how you are the champ!! I quite like him helping me out as it gives me confidence, I can do stuff on my own dont get me wrong but I am always convinced its going to taste rubbish lol xx

      Delete
  9. It seems like such a tough career - not only have you got to learn a lot but you've got to work crazy hours and deal with irritating customers! I think when you know a chef and know about what it's like inside the kitchen it makes you appreciate meals out even more xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly does make you appreciate the meals. I used to moan when I had to wait for my main course but now I don't as James has explained the pressure they are under just to get our meal perfect for us x

      Delete
  10. I wish I could cook as well as a chef but I dont want to be one, I dont think I could handle the stress x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love to watch him at work in the kitchen when he is making dinner its amazing how quickly he does everything! I take forever haha. I agree with you regarding the stress, too much to deal with I think x

      Delete
  11. I couldn't be a chef i get frustrated lol :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol you and me both! They would find me hiding in a corner :) x

      Delete
  12. You are an artist ! Wish I was as skilful as you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is an artist in the kitchen I 100% agree! I also wish I had the skills. I get nervous using a knife and he does it with such ease as if its nothing x

      Delete
  13. I am far too shouty to be a chef! I'd be yelling at everyone so much Gordon Ramsay would blush [he lives near me, I might test my theory out]

    http://www.keep-up-with-the-jones-family.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha aww you have to test that theory out it would be hilarious to see his reaction! I don't have the patience for working in a kitchen at all. x

      Delete
  14. This is quite an insight into what it takes to be a chef. Interesting read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. He has told me so many different experiences he had working as a chef x

      Delete
  15. I couldn't be a chef - I used to be a silver service waitress at one point and they always seemed so stressed lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. no it's not something I could do lol. I worked in a small family restaurant as a waitress and like you mentioned the chefs always looked stress and since meeting James and him telling me about life as a chef I can honestly say we were right, they were stressed ha x

      Delete
  16. I don't do very well under pressure so I could never be a chef :-(

    ReplyDelete