Wednesday 2 April 2014

Antidepressants & Anxiety MY view

PLEASE NOTE THESE VIEWS ARE MY OWN AND I AM NOT TRYING TO STOP PEOPLE FROM USING MEDICATION 


Quite a few times I have been prescribed an antidepressant called Citalopram to help with my anxiety and each time I have never ever went to the chemist to get them, Why? I simply don't want to rely on medication to make me happy. Everyone is different in how they want to deal with anxiety.

Since I was last prescribed them I was slightly intrigued. How do they actually help anxiety? I turned to the NHS website for answers. Have to admit I was not expecting to find results like this.


" It is thought that Citalopram hydrobromide increases the activity and levels of certain chemicals in the brain. This can improve symptoms such as depression and anxiety."

OK so far so good right? Let's have a look at the side effects shall we?

"Common: More than 1 in 100 people who take Citalopram hydrobromide
  • abnormal orgasm in women
  • apathy
  • concentration problems
  • confusion
  • constipation
  • decreased libido
  • diarrhoea
  • ejaculation failure
  • feeling agitated
  • feeling anxious"

Feeling anxious?! Does that not kind of defeat the purpose or am I being Naive?

Like I say everyone is different and antidepressants may help some but for me this just backs up my argument when I say I won't take Citalopram 


If you want more information it can be found at http://www.nhs.uk/medicine-guides/pages/MedicineOverview.aspx?condition=Depression&medicine=Citalopram%20hydrobromide&preparation=Citalopram%2010mg%20tablets

or talk to your health care provider 





No comments:

Post a Comment