Monday 27 April 2015

The Fairytale Hairdresser



My little girl loves everything glittery, girly and princess related. So as you can imagine the stories I read to her tend to fit into the above criteria.  My son likes the princess stories too because they are his little sister's favourite. He is so cute.
The Fairytale Hairdresser and the Little Mermaid certainly ticks all the boxes when it comes to a cute, princess story.  You may recognise parts of the story and some characters as it is a fresh take on a classic fairytale.



"The Sea Witch has a wicked plot to trick the Little Mermaid - can anybody help?"

When Sophie saw the book cover she got so excited and wanted me to read it to her right away. We got settled and I started to read.  Sophie was hooked from the very first line and she adored the beautiful illustrations. So many bright and colourful characters to look at and the pictures really helped to set the scene.




As I was reading the book I was really pleased with the new take on the fairytale.  It was refreshing as the author, Abie Longstaff brought in new characters and an interesting twist while Lauren Beard created stunning pictures which brought the characters to life.  Sophie had fun pointing out characters she knew and loved hearing about new ones too.

"The Fairytale Hairdresser is a fantastic role model, showing that fashion and fun    can be combined with courage, quick thinking and self-determination"

Kittie is a great character and I can see why children will love her as she cares for her friends and teaches us how to be a great friend and good person.  Coral, the little mermaid, is not your typical princess, much like the little mermaid we already know and love.



We have read the book to the children quite a few times now, Liam likes it too and said "it is my favourite because my sister loves it"



I really enjoyed reading this to my children, it is a sweet story that teaches them the value of friendship and is fun too.


You can pre-order the book on Amazon (Paperback RRP is £6.99) and is released on May 7th.




16 comments:

  1. This looks like a cute story. It's great to find books which engage kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a lovely story! I love how it teaches the kids how to be good friends, really nice x

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. It is a really sweet story and the illustrations are amazing! xx

      Delete
  3. Sounds sweet, and just the sort of thing my daughter loved when she was younger.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a sweet book with a lovely story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sophie absolutely loves it. Earlier this morning she told me she was the hairdresser (our dog was the mermaid) xx

      Delete
  5. Oh what a fab story and great book. I adore books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Books are amazing. I remember going to my local library twice a week when I was younger. My kids love books too.They are edcuational, fun and a great way to relax x

      Delete
  6. What a lovely sounding book - the pictures look gorgeous as well. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pictures are fantastic, I wish I could create something like that but my art skills have up and left me lol x

      Delete
  7. It is always nice to find a good book that everyone can enjoy.

    ReplyDelete