Thursday 23 April 2015

What Next?



Every few days I search the Internet for mental health in the news so I can keep up to date with the latest developments.  I often find myself angry and upset at some of the stories of those who need help and have been denied access to the services they need.  Every time I read a story like that I would think to myself, I wish I could help change the future of mental health services.

On May 5th I will be attending a SAMH event - Scotland's Mental Health - What Next? which is being held in Glasgow.  

The Scottish Government's Mental Health's strategy is ending this year and SAMH want to hear our views on what should replace the strategy.  This is a big thing for me as I can finally get more involved and my voice heard.  

Attending this event will not only mean I have a say, it also means we are helping people get the support and help they need and deserve. The UK government also need to think about their mental health strategy as it really is not working anymore.  1 in 4 people are affected by mental health conditions, more resources are needed and access to all services granted to those who need them.

I must admit I am nervous about attending as this will be my first trip into Glasgow in over a year and one I will be making alone.  Knowing I will be meeting others like myself will keep me going.

After the event I will let you all know how it went and update you on all the news from that day.

You can find out more about the What Next event here

24 comments:

  1. It sounds great that the Scottish Mental health stratergy is accessible and helping people who need support. It would be great to see the British Mental health stratergy follow suit! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am looking forward to giving my input and helping shape the strategy for the future. Such an honour to take part. If only we had access to the British MH strategy that would be interesting! x

      Delete
  2. Good luck - I hope the event proves to be insightful - its definitely worth making sure your voice is heard when you can :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarah. It is such an important event and a massive step for me too. Good to know charities like this are inviting the public to share their experiences and ideas x

      Delete
  3. It's great that you can take part and make sure your voice is heard. Proper support of mental health is so important - and all too often it's overlooked and underfunded.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very underfunded :-( It will be interesting to hear others ideas and also what they have experienced. x

      Delete
  4. It sounds like a fab event, great that you will be part of it x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait. I am excited to be part of it. Glad they have opened it to the public for opinion and ideas x

      Delete
  5. I hope you get what you want to out of the event and that you get your voice heard. Great that they're so open to people being involved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! it will be a very interesting day I think x

      Delete
  6. Sounds like a good event to attend in order to be heard and to learn more about mental health. I hope you will find it useful and beneficial.xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am really looking forward to it and cant wait to share all the ideas with you all xx

      Delete
  7. Good luck with the event - I love Glasgow, such a vibrant city

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a lovely city one I am quite proud of. Still makes me nervous haha x

      Delete
  8. Ohh don't stress about the trip; I am sure it will go with no troubles...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks xx I will just listen to my music the whole way there and back again. xx

      Delete
  9. Good luck, I hope you get what you need out of the trip :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, It will be interesting to hear others ideas and see how we can improve things x

      Delete
  10. I am sure it will be well worth the visit Angela .. safe journey xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good luck and safe journey, ooooh hang on - it's today! I hope it was worth it for you x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it was today but sadly didnt make it as my 2 little bears are not well xxx

      Delete
  12. i hope you had a great experience with this , x

    ReplyDelete